Gluten Free Peppermint Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
It’s less than two weeks until Christmas! Are you ready? I think most of my shopping is done. But there are a few more gifts I’d like to make. We’ll see if there is time! This week at school we are having a cookie exchange. I don’t usually participate in the activities involving food due to my food sensitivities. However, last week a friend suggested that those of us with food issues have our own cookie exchange. I saw some Mocha Peppermint cookies on Cook With Sara that looked delicious. So I decided to adapt them to meet my dietary needs. The result is these Gluten Free Peppermint Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies. In addition to being gluten free they are also refined sugar free. They could also be dairy free by substituting dairy free chocolate chips. They turned our really good and I can’t wait to share them tomorrow!
Recipe for Gluten Free Peppermint Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup Erythritol or Stevia (the type that is cup for cup equivalent to sugar)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar free chocolate chips
- 10 sugar free peppermints, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the coconut oil until it is smooth. Then add the Erythritol and honey and beat until well combined. Add to this mixture the egg, vanilla and peppermint extracts and mix together on high speed.
- In a separate bowl, mix the gluten free flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together until combined.
- Add about 1/2 of the dry mixture into the wet ingredients and mix by hand until combined. Add the other 1/2 of the dry mixture and stir until well mixed.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Cover dough tightly with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours.
- After it is chilled, remove cookie dough from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes or until the dough is easy to scoop and roll.
- Using about 1 Tablespoon of dough, form a ball and place on parchment lined baking sheets. Then press to flatten sightly. Sprinkle crushed peppermint on top of the unbaked cookies.
- Bake the cookies at 350 for 9 - 11 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes on the cookie sheet.
- Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- This recipe requires chilling so make the dough ahead of time.
Leave a comment
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.