Gluten Free Sugar Free Blueberry Pie
Blueberry pie is and always has been one of my favorite pies. Since I don’t eat gluten or refined sugar I had to come up with a new recipe. This Gluten Free Sugar Free Blueberry Pie is actually a healthier alternative to the traditional pie. The crust is made with almond flour and a few tablespoons of coconut oil. Almond flour is low in carbohydrates and high in fiber and protein. For other health benefits of almond flour check out this post by Dr. Josh Axe. Also, instead of refined sugar, the blueberries are sweetened with Stevia. Of course you can use any sweetener of choice! So if you are looking for a healthier option for your Easter menu, this pie fits the bill! Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil or butter
- 3 Tablespoons Splenda
- 4 cups blueberries
- dash of salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon liquid stevia (or 1 cup other sweetener)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350. While oven is heating put oil or butter in 8" or 9" pie pan and put in oven to melt.
- Remove pie pan from oven once oil has melted. Add almond flour and Splenda to the oil. Mix well then press mixture up sides and onto bottom of pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- While crust is cooking, put 1 cup of berries, water and stevia in a pan. Bring to a boil and cook 2-3 minutes. Mash some of the berries in the pan while they are cooking.
- Whisk in cornstarch until completely dissolved. Cook for several minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add in the rest of the berries and stir until well coated.
- Pour into cooked pie crust then chill for several hours in the refrigerator.