Secret Ingredient Banana Bread
I buy bananas regularly at the grocery store. I started to notice a frequent occurrence – 3 or 4 of them never get eaten. They sit on the counter and begin to turn brown. Since I hate to see anything go to waste I usually use them to make banana bread. It just so happens that this recipe for banana bread calls for 3-4 medium sized bananas. Hmmm . . . I have a sneaking suspicion that my husband is leaving them there on purpose so he can have this treat on a regular basis!
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 medium size ripe bananas
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Secret Ingredient - light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. Then grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter.
- Gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time beating well after each one.
- Mash bananas and add to the mixture, stirring until smooth.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture stirring just until dry ingredients are wet.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Use the brown sugar to sprinkle on top of the batter until batter is covered.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350° and continue baking for 40 minutes or until cake tester/wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes in the pan.
- Remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack.